Curriculum Advisory Services
Director – Curriculum Advisory Services (CAS)
Quality curriculum that is flexible, accessible and responsive to changing needs.
To improve the quality of education through the creation of a quality curriculum tools, resources, products and services designed to promote creativity, innovation and joy for interactive/holistic learning and teaching in the 21st century education contexts.
Under the policy documents within the Ministry of Education, the CAS section has introduced an outcomes-based curriculum which is child-centered and child friendly. The Fiji National Curriculum Framework (NCF) aims to:
ensure acquisition and development of knowledge, skills and values, and of the associated capabilities and competencies, that would enable all young Fijians to lead meaningful and productive lives;
- guide teachers on what is to be taught across the years of schooling at all levels from Early Childhood to Year 13 and what is expected of students each year;
- guide students about what they have learned, where they need to progress to and how well they have achieved;
- ensure that quality learning and teaching is carried out;
- make learning relevant and interesting to students.
The NCF promotes a few important philosophies about teaching and learning to provide teachers with more confidence to handle the curriculum documents available to them and to deliver the curriculum to the best of their abilities while observing the following:
- there is flexibility for teachers to develop teaching and learning programs and the strategies that they will use;
- to take into account the different rates at which students develop;
- the diverse range of learning needs in the class;
- schools and teachers will continue to apply their professional judgement about how to best reflect local and regional contexts to their learning environment.
CAS further supports the above curriculum implementation processes through the production, printing and supply of textbooks and other relevant resources for the all year levels and subjects to assist in the learning and teaching in the classroom. The section is also responsible for assessing learning through the moderation of internal assessments, setting of external examinations for Years 6, 8, 10, 12 & 13, final examinations for Years 7, 9 & 11 and LANA for Years 5 & 7.
We highly appreciate and look forward to the continued support from our stakeholders and partners as we take education to greater heights.